Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Issues In The Reel World

I spent the majority of today working on my audio reel set-up and transferred the first reel using the new set-up, the Mac, and Logic Express. It was also the first reel I had worked on that was recorded at 3 3/4. I thought everything was good to go (3 3/4 button depressed and everything) and when I started the digital transfer, I heard a chipmunk instead of a soprano! After messing with settings on the computer (because I thought I took care of everything on the hardware end), I finally listened to the recording through the reel player and discovered it wasn't doing what it was supposed to be doing. A colleague then found a great site for me, obsolete media, which has a manual for my reel player! After searching discovering that I had to remove a post sheath, and then not-so-gently coaxing a sheath off of a post that had not been removed in over decade, I got everything running again, the soprano started singing, and the digitization was running.

End of story? Not quite.

We got Logic Express for the great metadata it creates and allows. All of the administrative metadata is there, but I'm having trouble finding the menu to input descriptive metadata. There's always tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment